108 History of Wake Forest College
been sent to the Board by Captain John Berry, a contractor and
builder, and himself a Baptist and later a member of the Board of
Trustees.20 A building committee was appointed to contract for and
superintend the building. This committee consisted of William
Crenshaw, Sr., Charles W. Skinner, Amos J. Battle, A. J. Spivey, and
Joseph B. Outlaw. At this meeting Armstrong, Bowden and Jeffreys
were appointed a committee to locate the "College Building," the first
instance in which, so far as I have found, the word "College" was
used with reference to Wake
Afterwards the new structure
was called in the records "The College Building."
As the plans for the building were immature the Board of Trustees
had another meeting, December 22-25, 1834. At this meeting the
Board rescinded its action in adopting the plan for the College
Building made by Captain Berry and substituted for it one made by
Mr. Ligon, of which the dimensions will be indicated below. Captain
Berry was consulted by a committee to learn "the difference in laying
the College walls with brick or stone." The committee on location
reported advising that the building be placed "in front of the present
mansion," and the Board so ordered. But later, at the same meeting,
the Board rescinded its action and ordered that "the College Building
be located in the place of the present
The Building Committee had already selected Captain John Berry23
as builder and contractor. In accordance with the action of the Board
they now agreed upon the terms, $13,000
The plan offered by Captain Berry was for a building of most substantial
structure. It was to be three stories high with wall of brick, 42 inches thick at the
bottom and 14 at the top, with as many as ten rooms on each floor. Proceedings,
November 3-5, 1834.
Proceedings, November 3-5, 1834.
This house, the former residence of Dr. Jones, was first moved back to the west
about fifty yards so as to be out of the way of the builders. Later, in 1842, it was
purchased by Dr. J. B. White and moved to its present location on Wingate Street.
Professor White sold it to Dr. Walters and it again came into the possession of the
College when the Board of Trustees purchased the Walters estate in 1916. Gorrell,
"History of Grounds," Bulletin II, 103.
Proceedings, December 22-25, 1834. Mills, Wake Forest Student, II, 227.