The College Buildings 111
According to the plan of Mr. Ligon the building was to be 132 by
65 feet; the central part projected in front about six feet and in the rear
about two; it was three stories high, the first floor serving as chapel,
the second for classrooms and library, the third for society halls. The
two wings were four stories high, each entered from the end into a
passage way with three dormitory rooms on each side on all the
floors, forty-eight rooms in all, to accommodate 96 students. The
fourth floor of the wings and the third floor of the central portion were
on a level, with the passage way extending the length of the building.
The classrooms of the central portion, on the second floor, were
approached from the passage of the third floor of the wings, by a drop
of two steps. The building looked towards the east.
The contractor, Captain Berry, went about his work with
promptness and dispatch. The bricks were made in the vicinity, on the
small stream to the east of the northern end of the Campus. How long
the making took, or how long a time was consumed in assembling the
other materials is not known. The work was already in progress in
August, 1835, and was going on apace when Rev. Thomas Meredith
was at Wake Forest in November of that year. In an editorial in the
Biblical Recorder of November 18, 1835, he gives a pleasing picture
of Captain Berry busy at the work.
The buildings are going forward under direction of Captain Berry,
architect and contractor, with a regularity and dispatch which promise their
completion by the time stipulated, January 1, 1837. The edifice
is of brick, 132 by 65 feet, four stories high, and, besides a chapel, library,
philosophical room, etc., will afford accommodations for a
hundred students. It will be a handsome and substantial structure, equally creditable
to the ability of the contractor and to the enterprise
and liberality of the Trustees. We consider it due to the parties concerned, to say,
that the Board have been most happy in securing the
services of Captain Berry. Few other men would have conducted the perplexing
operation of a large building in the midst of 100 students,
with the ease and dignified equanimity which have uniformly marked the
movements of this gentleman, and which have secured him the universal respect of
both students and instructors.
Previous Page Next Page