The College Buildings 117
the Institute and selling a portion of the land, “in suitable lots for
family residences and other necessary
purposes."39
On December 20,
1838, the Board authorized the execution of a note for $4,000 to pay
an obligation at a bank. There was yet a much greater debt, the
$10,000 due Captain Berry on the building. We shall see later how
this debt made for the building continued to hamper the College
during its first quarter of a century. On the other hand, these buildings
were from the first the biggest material asset of the institution. In the
eyes of the denomination and the people generally they gave local
habitation and name to a purpose which without them would have
seemed visionary. The institution which was now becoming a college
could hardly have been maintained at all during the trying years 1838-
50 had it not been for the completion of the noble building program of
a few members of the Board who were men of vision. They builded
wisely but not more wisely than they knew.
―――――――
39 Proceedings, November 27, 1837.
Previous Page Next Page