THE TEACHERS OF THE INSTITUTE
We have seen that for the first year of the Institute Principal Wait
was the sole teacher. Others who were on the teaching staff during the
period of the Institute were Rev. John Armstrong, A.M., Columbian
College, 1825, Professor of the Ancient Languages, February, 1835,
Henry Lea Graves, A.B., University of North Carolina,
1835, Tutor, August, 1835, to December,
Alban H. Hart,
Tutor, February, 1835, to December, 1836;3 Henry A. Wilcox, Tutor,
February, 1837, to December, 1837;4 John B. White, M.A., Brown
University, 1832, Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy,
Daniel Ford Richardson, A.M., Professor of
Ancient Languages, February, 1838, to February,
Professor of Hebrew and Rhetoric, February, 1839, to December,
1839;7 and Stephen Morse, A.M., Brown University, 1832, Adjunct
Professor of Languages and Principal of the Preparatory Department,
February, 1839, to July, 1839, and full Professor of the Ancient
Languages from July, 1839 to June,
Appointed May 3-5, 1834, Proceedings, p. 2.
Mr. Graves was first employed by the Faculty under authority of the Board of
Trustees given at the meeting in July, 1835. In the Report on the Institute made to
the Baptist State Convention of that year Graves is spoken of as Tutor. The Board,
at the meeting at this time, again authorized his employment. A year later his salary
was increased by the Board to $600.00, and he was in addition given the rent of a
house. Proceedings, pp. 17, 21, 25.
Mr. Hart was employed by the Faculty. Hence there is no record of his
appointment in the records of the Trustees.
Mr. Wilcox was appointed November 24, 1836. Proceedings, p. 25.
White was appointed by the Executive Committee on November 27, 1837. This
action was later approved by the Board of Trustees. Proceedings, p. 33.
Richardson was appointed by the Executive Com. Nov. 27, 1837. Proceeding,
Richardson was appointed to this new position June, 1839. Proceedings, p. 49.
Professor Mills, Wake Forest Student, III, 269, says that he left the Institute at the
end of 1839. His church letter was granted the next October. See Wake Forest
Church Records for October 11, 1840.
Morse was first appointed November 29, 1838 (Proceedings, p. 33), and
advanced in July, 1839 (Ibid., p. 49).