132 History of Wake Forest College
It was examinations of this kind that were held at Wake Forest. One
of the first actions of the Board of Trustees was to appoint "an
Examining Committee of ten whose duty it shall be to examine the
students in their studies and report to the
This practice was
kept up all through the period of the Institute and longer. The first
catalogue of the
shows that the Board still regarded the
holding of examinations as a very important part of its duty. Under
the head of "Scholarship and Examinations" after giving minute
directions for the guidance of the faculty in grading the daily work
and attendance of the students on classes, the Board made the
following rule as to examinations.
"There shall be two public examinations in every year, one at the
close of every session, at which the Trustees of the Institution shall
attend and literary gentlemen in general shall be invited. These
examinations shall be conducted in a manner so thorough and exact as
to exhibit to those in attendance the evidence of the diligence and
attainment of each student."
The first Examination Committee appointed in 1834 was composed
of Messrs. A. Spivey, S. P. Biddle, D. Williams, W. H. Jordan, A.
Dockery, D. Thompson, S. Graham, A. J. Battle, John B. Outlaw and
William Hooper. At the first examination they had to help them
Governor Swain and Judge William Gaston of the Supreme Court.
The following account of it was published in the Raleigh Register of
August 12, 1834.
The examinations of the students of this Institute took place on the
31st ult. in the presence of the Examining Committee and many other
friends, among whom were his Excellency Governor Swain, and
The young gentlemen were examined on Geography, English,
Proceedings, May, 1834, p. 2.
A copy of this has been preserved and is in the Library of the College. It bears
the title: "The Charter and Laws of the Wake Forest College, North Carolina;
Published by the Corporation, December, 1838. Raleigh: Printed at the Recorder
Office, 1839." It contains the charters of 1833 and 1838, the Laws of Admission,
Course of Studies, Regulations, etc., but no list of students; however, it does contain
the names and chairs of the members of the Faculty.