The Town of Wake Forest 195
Lot 20 was sold to J. A. Battle on June
7, 1853, for
lot 31 on the same date to B. J. Hackney, for
lots 21 and 32 were sold to J. M.
and also lot 25;
though I find no record of the deed for lot 25; on this last he built his
And to Samuel Wait lots 8, 9, on which are now the residences of
Mr. Isaac Fort and Professor Lake, and lots 22, 23 were sold as town
lots, on June 28,
On lot 22 Mr. Wait built the residence in
which he long lived, and which later came into the possession of Dr.
C. E. Taylor. In addition to the lots named Mr. Wait bought at the
same time as farm lands lots 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43,
44, 45, 46, 47.
This shows that before the Civil War the College had disposed of
all its lots north of the Campus, except those reserved from the sale
and those making up the athletic field, and five others, lot 24, on the
corner of Pine and Main Streets, where is now the residence of Mr.
Greason, and lots 16, 17, 18, 19, opposite the old athletic field on the
west side of Main Street. As we shall see presently it had sold also all
the lots to the west of the Campus, and all its farm lands, although it
afterwards came into possession of some of the lots and some of the
farm lands a second time.
Of the lots to the west of the Campus only three were sold as lots.
These were lots 52, 53, and 54, which at different times were sold to
W. T. Brooks, lot 52 on June 25, 1842, and the last two on February
Turning now to the sale of the farm lands, we find that the first sale
was made to Isham Holding. This was the northern portion extending
from Richland Creek on the west, along the line of Juniper Street, past
where are now the houses of Dr.
Records in the office of the Register of Deeds, book 21, p. 605.
Ibid., book 21, p. 602.
Ibid., book 21, p. 605. Lot 30 is named in the deed, but it was said to be a
“corner lot," which fits only lot 31.
Ibid., book 19, p. 407.
Ibid., book 15, p. 112.
Ibid., book 15, p. 110, and book 17, p. 446.