Associational Academies 313
The suggestion was welcomed by the progressive N. J. Palmer, who
at the meeting of the Baptist State Convention in Raleigh, October,
offered a resolution which with its preamble is as follows:
Whereas it is deemed by this Convention to be of the utmost
importance to the Baptist denomination, and to the interest of truth in
general, that Academies and Schools should be established under the
care and patronage of Baptists, and that our children and wards should
not be sent to schools where sectarian principles opposed to the
doctrines and ordinances of our church are taught and form a part of
Resolved, That this Convention recommend to their brethren
throughout the State to encourage the establishment of Schools, both
male and female, under the patronage of the Baptist denomination,
and by all proper means to sustain and support those which have been
established, as a means, under God's blessing, of advancing the
interest of true religion.
The resolution aroused a lively discussion, in which Rev. William
Hill Jordan declared it was the most important matter that had been
brought before the Convention. It was unanimously adopted.
A few weeks before, at the meeting of the Beulah Association in
Palmer introduced a resolution and gained its
acceptance by the Association recommending to the members of the
churches that "by every means in their power to encourage Literary
Schools, both male and female," and among these "the male academy
about to be established near Trinity Church in Caswell County, under
the patronage of that
Convention minutes, 1845, p. 9 f.
Biblical Recorder, November 1, 1845; Minutes of Beulah Association for 1845.
This school was in Caswell County, 11 miles west of Yanceyville, on the
Greensboro road; among its Trustees were Judge Thomas Settle and Mr. Calvin
Graves; its teachers were two able young men, J. J. James and J. H. Lacy. We find
this in regard to it in the minutes of the Beulah Association for 1846: "It is designed
to be a school of high literary character, intended thoroughly to prepare youth for
entering our Colleges and Universities, and also to give to such as wish it, a
practical and liberal English education. This school is decidedly a Baptist
institution, having been gotten up by them." It was still in operation in 1849, but
seems to have been discontinued soon after. See Convention minutes for 1849, p.