316 History of Wake Forest College
ing popularity and the number of students the first term was twenty-
five. He found time to visit the Associations; on July 31, 1852, he was
at the meeting of the Dan River, and was heard with much attention as
he made an eloquent and effective appeal for education. A week later
the Flat River Association "having the utmost confidence in his
character and qualifications," most strongly recommended his school,
promising it their patronage so long as the Flat River Association
should have no school of its
Henson's talents, however, were
such that he could be retained at Milton for only one year. In 1853 he
became a member of the faculty of the Chowan Female Institute. His
departure seems to have brought about the suspension of the Milton
school, and nothing more is heard of it.
We have seen that Elder Stinceon Ivey was in 1852 conducting a
school at Madison; this though approved by the Beulah Association
was not at that time conducted under its auspices. In 1854, again we
find the Beulah Association planning to establish a male academy,
and under the leadership of Mr. N. J. Palmer, who died a few weeks
later. A committee appointed to receive proposals for the location of
reported that in consequence of the death of Mr. Palmer
they had been slow to act, but on investigation believed that Madison
was the best place for the school, at which place there was no longer a
school, since Mr. Ivey had become a missionary of the Association.
At the meeting of the Association in 1856 it approved the
establishment of the school at Madison and expressed a determination
to "make it all that a well regulated Preparatory School ought to
Instead of erecting a new building the Association rented for a long
term of years one already built, probably that in which Elder S. Ivey
had taught, and in July, 1857, opened the Academy under the charge
of Lewis H. Shuck, who had graduated at Wake Forest in 1856, and
had then taught a year at Oxford College. Mr. Shuck proved an able
and popular principal and under his charge the Academy steadily
grew in patronage, thirty-two the first year, fifty-seven the next and
Biblical Recorder, August 20, 27 and September 24, 1852.
Ibid., September 7, 14, 1854.
Beulah Association Minutes for 1856.