Associational Academies 321
In the minutes of the Baptist State Convention of 1854 is the first
record that there was a purpose to establish a school at Taylorsville.
The Convention endorsed the plan and recommended that the school
be preparatory to Wake Forest College. It was called the United
Baptist Institute of Taylorsville, and began its first session January 8,
1856, with Mr. J. H. Foote as Principal. Mr. Foote was a native of
Iredell County, had graduated at Wake Forest College in the class of
1852, and since that time had been teaching at Farmington, Davie
County, North Carolina. From 1859 to 1861 he was professor of
Ancient Languages in Wake Forest College; resigning his place to
enter the War, he attained the rank of major in the Confederate Army.
Of the first years of this school little is to be found in the records
that we have. It was called the United Baptist Institute probably
because several Associations, the Taylorsville, the Lewis Fork and the
Lower Creek, united in its support. In the Minutes of the Lower Creek
Association for 1855 is found a resolution recommending the "United
Baptist Taylorsville School" as a good institution and urging that the
Association aid in the completion of its building. In 1857 also this
Association passed a resolution favoring the school. The Lewis Fork
Association, in 1857 and 1858, also passed favorable resolutions
asking support for the school and commending most highly "its able
and beloved President, Professor James H. Foote." Like resolutions
are found in the minutes of the Taylorsville Baptist Association for
1856 and 1857. In the latter year it is recommended that the
necessities of the school so require that steps be taken to enlarge the
accommodations, and that to meet the expense each church in the
Association be asked to raise fifty cents per member. As the churches
of the Association had 385 members at the time the amount thus
raised would not have been large. After this year there is no further
reference to this school in the minutes of any of these Associations,
not yet in the minutes of the United Baptist Association into which
these three coalesced in 1859.
Not only the three Associations named but the Western Baptist
Convention also gave its endorsement to the United Baptist Insti-
Previous Page Next Page