322 History of Wake Forest College
tute. In 1857, at the first annual session of that Convention as an
independent body, an effort was made to raise a sum of money to
educate some young ministers, such as the Board might select, at the
United Baptist Institute. At the time $130 was raised, and it was
hoped that more might be received. In the Report on Education the
"unparalleled success" of the institution was spoken of and it was
highly approved and recommended to the patronage of the Baptists of
the Convention. In 1858 the Convention received the school under its
control, with the statement that it should have the right to fill
vacancies on the Board of Trustees of the school, and urged the
churches to contribute liberally to its support. In 1859 the Report on
Education calls attention to the necessity of paying the small debt on
the school as soon as possible, and again recommends it to the
patronage of the denomination and friends, of education. In 1860,
though the institution is not mentioned in the Report on Education,
certain vacancies on the Board of Trustees are filled. At the same time
the Trustees are asked to make annual reports to the Convention,
which it seems was never done. For all these years the Convention
had been supporting at least one beneficiary in the school. After 1860
the institution is not mentioned in the Convention minutes.
Other facts about the school may be learned from the Biblical
Recorder. Early in 1856 the school building was completed and paid
for. It was a commodious brick structure, with chapel and recitation
rooms. It was well located on an eminence overlooking the town and
commanded a beautiful prospect, with mountains rising up to the
north and west, while to the south and east was a stretch of farming
lands. The town, then seven years old, had three churches, Methodist,
Presbyterian, and Baptist. The attendance was good; at the beginning
of the second year the institution had nearly one hundred students,
most of whom were studying the classics and advanced mathematics.
In August, 1857, so many students had come that the principal
advertised that no more could be taken since the institution was full,
and there was no place even at the boarding houses. It was hoped,
however, to enlarge the accommodations so as to accommo-
Previous Page Next Page