324 History of Wake Forest College
was advertised to "resume operations" on July 9, 1860, with the same
principal but with W. R. Jones as assistant. It was still in operation in
1863, with Rev. F. A. Belcher, a graduate of Wake Forest College of
the class of 1861, in charge. Under various masters it continued for
many years. In 1897 it was chartered as Taylorsville Collegiate
Institute under the patronage of the Alexander Association.
At this time the Baptists of the French Broad Association and the
Western Baptist Convention were turning their attention to another
school. This was the school at Mars Hill, first known as the French
Broad Baptist Institute. It was first noticed in the Western Baptist
Convention in its Report on Education of 1858, as an institution
established principally by the French Broad Association, and entirely
under the control of our denomination and well worthy of a place in
the affections of Baptists.25 Before the next meeting of the Western
Baptist Convention, the school at Mars Hill had been chartered as
Mars Hill College. It was most highly commended by the Convention.
At the next meeting of the Convention, Mars Hill College was
"received under its fostering care." In 1861 the Convention, while
saying nothing about the United Baptist Institute again recommended
"Our School," Mars Hill College, which was to begin its regular
session in September, 1861, under the presidency of Rev. P. Rollins.
The Convention heard a report also on the school in which it was
stated that a boarding house was under construction to cost $3,610, all
of which except $278 had been secured.
In the historical account of Mars Hill College in the catalogues of
recent years it is said that the school began operations in January,
1857; that its first instructors were W. A. G. Brown and P.W.
Anderson; and that in the years preceding the Civil War it was
thronged with students coming from a wide range of territory. Though
it was not established wholly as a preparatory school for Wake Forest
College and soon became a chartered college itself,
25 The use of the word "entirely" in the minutes, may be taken to indicate that
some other denomination shared with the Baptists in the control of the United