328 History of Wake Forest College
entire property, as well as the stock held by the bondholders, who, it
seems were almost altogether the members of the Board, if the
Association would assume the liabilities of the institution. But as the
new members refused to relieve the members of the old Board of their
bonds for the debts the property continued under the control of the old
who still carried the debt, though the superintendence of the
school was turned over to others appointed by the Association.
The school was opened for students in January, 1856, with Miss
Virginia Carolina Royster, later Mrs. J. K. Howell, in charge of the
Female Seminary, and R. P. Jones, a graduate of Wake Forest College
in 1854, in charge of the Male Academy. Miss Royster remained until
June, 1857, and was assisted by Mrs. Jones in Music, in which Mrs.
Jones was said to have no superior in North Carolina. After June,
1857, the Female Seminary was in charge of Rev. T. S. Yarbro and
his wife. The Male Academy remained in charge of Mr. Jones until
December, 1859, when he was replaced by Mr. Yarbro. It seems that
some friction had developed between them on account of the
management of the Female Seminary, and it was Mr. Jones who had
to give way. He immediately opened a school for boys of his own,
calling it Mount Vernon Academy, but did not succeed with it. Mr.
Yarbro becoming principal of the Male Academy had for his assistant
Rev. R. R. Moore, who had been a student at Wake Forest. The
number of students was about 100 with two-thirds of them males. It
was discontinued during the Civil War, but on September 28, 1863,
the Female Seminary opened under the charge of Dr. William Hooper
and his son, Professor T. C. Hooper. However, the instruction was not
confined to girls but Dr. Hooper taught a class of boys in Latin,
Mathematics, and other high school
After a year the
increasing distress of the War caused the discontinuance of this
school also. After the War until the close of the century the property
continued to be used for school purposes and first under A. J.
Emerson, then under
Minutes of the Sandy Creek Association, 1860 to 1862.
Biblical Recorder, September 16, 1863, editorial note and advertisement.