Associational Academies 337
was secured at a cost of $600. A large, convenient, and comfortable
hotel was built, and suitably furnished for the accommodation of
teachers and pupils.
A store was also opened, and a post-office established, mainly in
the interest of the school. Mr. J. D. Goodman, near by, also made
extensive arrangements for the accommodation of boarders. A spring
of good mineral water was discovered but a short distance from the
premises, and properly fitted for use, soon becoming a popular resort
for the surrounding people.
Some few, possessed of visionary imagination, already foresaw in
Reynoldson the nucleus of a large and thriving city, and land adjacent
went up to fabulous prices, but there were no purchasers.
The location, in many respects, was a fortunate one combining
healthfulness; good water; a community of citizens of moral and
industrious habits, hospitable and generous; a Baptist church of which
most of the adjacent residents were members; a skilled and successful
physician within a mile; and the absence to the usual temptations to
idleness and vice incident to schools in towns, and villages.
With the high expectations and best wishes of its many and liberal
friends, in September, 1855, the school was opened under the
auspices of James A. Delke, a graduate of the University of North
Circumstances soon required the employment of an
additional teacher, and the principal called to his aid Mr. Charles
Rawls, of Nansemond County, Virginia, who proved an efficient and
popular adjunct. After the first year, Mr. George Morgan of Gates
County, was added to the corps of instruction, a faithful and
In 1856, the committee on Chowan-Reynoldson Seminary congrat-
ulated its friends on the prosperity that attended the Institution, but
deprecated the attempt to convert it into a College, recommending
that it continue under the name and style of Chowan Reynoldson
In 1847, the school was reported as languishing, in no wise attrib-
utable to the want of proper management or to any ineffiicency of its
faculty; to the contrary, the committee cheerfully bore testimony of
the eminent ability and distinguished qualifications of its Board of
Instructors. The lamentable condition was attributed to mismanage-
ment in the boarding department, this not being under the control
Delke was a student of Wake Forest Institute in the years 1834-35. In the
advertisement of the opening of the school, Biblical Recorder, August 23, 1855,
Rev. A. M. Craig and Mr. Delke were named as Associate Principals.
Mr. Morgan was a graduate of the University of North Carolina, in the class of