338 History of Wake Forest College
of the Trustees or teachers, and, the close of this year, the Principal
and Assistant retired, and Joseph D. Boushall, of Camden County,
and Mr. C. S. Ellis, of Wilmington, were elected conjoint
The prospects not justifying the employment of both, the latter retired,
and the school was continued by Mr. Boushall, of whose fitness we
may judge by a resolution passed in the session of 1860:
Resolved, . . . That the services of our worthy brother Boushall,
Principal of Reynoldson Institute, deserve the highest commendation
of this body, and the gratitude of every true Baptist.
The difficulty of the boarding department was soon satisfactorily
adjusted, and the pressing debt was, by cash and bonds, reduced to
In 1861, Mr. James M. Taylor, of Gates County, and also a graduate
of Wake Forest College, associated himself with Mr. Boushall, and
these became sole proprietors of the boarding department. Under their
able and efficient management the school prospered, till at the call of
their country they exchanged the quiet and peace of the school-room
for the turmoil and strife of the battlefield. On May 3, 1863, in the
battle of Chancellorsville, J. D. Boushall while bravely leading his
company, whose Captain had fallen, was stricken down, horribly
mangled by an exploded shell.
In 1866, Rev. C. T. Bailey was elected principal and with the
assistance of Brother Taylor, reestablished the school. Bro. Bailey
remained but one session, however, and resigned to take charge of the
church at Edenton.
In 1869 Reynoldson Institute became the property of Bro. Willie
Riddick, from whom it was purchased by Julius F. Howell, the first
student entered when the school was organized in 1855.
In Professor Delke's account just given, it is said that the Asso-
ciation deprecated the effort to make a college of the school. It seems
to have been Delke himself who wished to make it a college. The
management of the school had disregarded the express declaration of
the Association when it was first planning for the school that the
proposed institution should be subsidiary to Wake Forest College; in
the first prospectus of the course of study, published in the Biblical
Recorder of September 13, 1855, three departments of study were
mentioned-Collegiate as well as Primary and Academic.
Both were graduates of Wake Forest College in the class of 1857.