Curriculum 365
to the Arts," established in 1854. In it the teachers were, in 1856-57,
Professor Elisha Mitchell, (who, on the departure of Olmsted, became
head of the department of Chemistry, Mineralogy, and Geology), and
Rev. James Phillips, Professor Charles Phillips, and Professor James
Kimberly. While with its lack of adequate laboratories this school
must have been greatly handicaped in its methods of instruction, it
was yet very popular and had an enrollment of more than seventy
students.
This great development of interest in scientific studies at the State
University was reflected in the actions of the Trustees and faculty of
Wake Forest College. We have seen that already in the Institute a
course was given in Natural Philosophy, and that Brooks, in his diary,
spoke of "Investigating the refraction of light by the Prism, rainbow,
etc." The course of studies shows that Natural Philosophy was
retained in the years after 1839; however, the instruction in these
subjects must have been confined largely to textbooks. This was
because with the limited means of the institution the Trustees could
provide for nothing better. In June, 1835, they elected Dr. J. B.
Outlaw, Professor of Anatomy and Physiology, but there is no
evidence that he accepted the place. At the same time the Trustees
appointed a committee to procure "a Philosophical and Chemical
apparatus for the Institute." It seems that something was got, for four
years later the Trustees instructed the faculty to "have a case made for
the Philosophical Apparatus." Again, in December, 1852, the
committee on lots was requested to purchase "a Chemical Apparatus"
with money realized on the sale of lots. In December, 1853, the
Executive Committee authorized Professor W. T. Walters to purchase
one thousand dollars' worth of philosophical apparatus, in the
payment of which the Trustees applied the scholarships of Professor
Walters and Rev. J. S. Purefoy.20 Among pieces so procured was a
telescope of sufficient "power to resolve nebulae and bring into view
the moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn"; an electrical machine
with a 36-inch glass plate was also procured, and an air pump under
which water might
―――――――
20 Proceedings, p. 96.
Previous Page Next Page