SAMUEL WAIT II
When Wake Forest Institute became Wake Forest College as we
have seen, the faculty consisted of President Samuel Wait, and
Professors J. B. White, D. F. Richardson, and Stephen Morse.
Members of the faculty appointed during Wait's administration were
William H. Owen, and William Tell Brooks.
Professor Stephen Morse remained only a short time. He had
come to the institution as it became a college, in February, 1839, and
until the following June, he was Adjunct Professor of Greek and
Latin; then he was advanced to the full professorship, and continued
in that place until June, 1841, when he resigned. He is described as
quite a stout man, well proportioned and not too large. He had a
florid complexion, round face, dark hair and eyes. He usually wore a
round jacket, as did most of the students of that day. Although he
was an excellent instructor he was not very popular with the
the time he came to Wake Forest he was about thirty
years of age. That he was actively interested in the welfare of the
College is shown by the fact that at the Commencement of 1839 he
joining with Professor White brought the matter of endowing a
professorship to the attention of the Trustees, who endorsed their
plan and appointed them agents to secure the money. Just why
Morse left the College is not known, but it was probably on his own
initiative. Shortly afterwards he was admitted to the bar, but does
not seem to have pursued the practice of law, since he became a
merchant, first at Greenville, Illinois, and then at Paola, Kansas.
After White, in 1853, left Wake Forest, Morse joined with him in
establishing a college at Greenville, Illinois, which was named
Almira College, the given name of his wife, Almira Blanchard. Of
this institution White became President. Morse died at Paola.
To succeed Morse as Professor of Ancient Languages, the
R. Creecy, Wake Forest Student, XXVIII, 316.