410 History of Wake Forest College
to have the advantages of the University for her three sons, of whom
William was the oldest. He graduated from the University in 1809. In
the same year his mother became the wife of President Joseph
Caldwell of the University. The union was not fruitful, but the
brilliant young Hooper stood as a son in the affection and pride of his
stepfather. In 1812 the University conferred on him the degree of
Master of Arts. The next year, 1812-13, he was a student of the
Princeton Theological Seminary; in August, 1813 he returned to
Chapel Hill as a member of the University faculty.
Dr. Hooper was in the work of education for sixty-five years. He
began in 1810 as tutor in the University, and continued in that
institution from 1813 until 1837, with the exception of two years,
1822-24, when he was rector at Fayetteville, occupying successively
the positions of tutor, Professor of Ancient Languages, Rhetoric and
Logic, and again of Ancient Languages. From 1837 till December,
1846, he was in South Carolina, for two years as head of the Furman
Theological Institution, and afterwards as Professor of Roman
Literature in the South Carolina College, now the University of South
Carolina, during much of the time being Acting President. On the
urgent call of the Trustees of Wake Forest College he came to that
institution and took up his work as president on January 18, 1847, and
continued in it until December 14, 1848, when he resigned to join
with his son, T. C. Hooper, in the conduct of a school for boys near
Warrenton. In this work he continued for only a few years when he
resigned to become pastor of the Baptist Church in New Bern. In
August, 1854, he left the pastorate to become president of Chowan
Female Institute, thus entering on a work in which he has had a
pioneer interest. Here he remained until the outbreak of the Civil War
when his opposition to Secession brought him to variance with the
patrons of the College and he resigned. He retired to Fayetteville,
where he taught in a school for girls. On September 28, 1863, he and
his son, T. C. Hooper, became principals of the
Previous Page Next Page