When a meeting of the Executive Committee on August 30, 1848,
President Hooper made known his decision to resign his work at the
close of the fall term, December 14, that body chose Professor John
B. White as acting-president to succeed Dr. Hooper, and appointed a
committee on the presidency consisting of N. J. Palmer, G. W.
Thompson, G. M. Thompson, and D. W. Justice. Since there was no
quorum at the meeting of the Board appointed for January, 1849, this
action did not come before the Trustees until their meeting at the
College the following June. At that time the committee reported and
the Board accepted the recommendation and elected White president
at a salary of one thousand dollars a year. He accepted but with some
reluctance, and temporarily until another person could be secured,
pleading his inability to meet the expectations of the Trustees and the
public, and expressing a preference for the work of a professor to the
presidency with its anxiety and
In January, 1849, White had been at the College eleven years. Of
his antecedents, qualifications, and work during this time something
has already been said. When he assumed the duties of president, the
College was in the swelling tide of prosperity which had begun in
1845 and which continued to rise until the Civil War.
Of this prosperity during the administration of President White,
which extended from December, 1848, to December, 1853, there are
many evidences.
The number of students passed the hundred mark in all these years,
a remarkable increase from the low record of 1843-44, to which
Professor W. H. Owen refers with much pride in a communication to
the Biblical Recorder of November 20, 1850, saying: "This college is
the only one known to the writer which
1 Proceedings, pp. 71, 73.
Previous Page Next Page