416 History of Wake Forest College
As the number of students was greater so also was the proportion of
those who were taking work of collegiate grade. The number of
graduates with bachelors' degrees rose to ten in 1852, which was not
exceeded before the Civil War, and not equalled again after the War
until 1885. In quality also the students and graduates of this period
will compare favorably with those of any other period of the College.
Among them were such men as J. H. Foote, B. J. Lea, W. G.
Simmons, John Haymes Mills, T. H. Pritchard, and W. T. Faircloth,
all men of such moral and intellectual excellence as to justify an
observer in speaking with admiration of "the moral influence brought
to bear by the large number of pious students belonging to this
The faculty consisted of Professors White, Owen, and Brooks; in
June, 1852, W. T. Walters, who had been serving as tutor, was
elevated to the rank of Professor of Mathematics and Chemistry.
There were tutors also during all these years, some of them very able
men: Willie P. Mangum, and Jonathan Merriam, 1848-49; W. T.
Walters, 1850-51; B. W. Justice, 1850.
As has been told in another chapter the College during these years
secured what was regarded adequate equipment and apparatus for
instruction in Physics. The Societies also had both excellent libraries,
and these are mentioned with satisfaction in the catalogue of 1854-55.
No new buildings, however, had been erected. Probably some of the
temporary wooden structures were still on the Campus but the greater
number had been removed to the nearby lots, and were serving as
residences, boarding houses and a schoolhouse.5
young men who are now laying the foundation of future usefulness in the
acquisition of knowledge and in mental training are noted for their elevated moral
character. Intemperance is unknown, and they have an active and efficient division
of the Sons of Temperance. There are here two Literary Societies, well conducted
and admirably calculated to provoke each other to generous emulation. The society
on the hill and in the surrounding country is such as the best may desire-such as
cannot fail to exert a powerful influence in favor of the College."
Biblical Recorder, August 8, 1850.
5 The following from the catalogues of those years gives some idea of the
buildings in and around the Campus at that time: "The College buildings are
situated upon an eminence west of the railroad and command a delightful and