Administration of John Brown White 425
and continued in it until a few years before his death in 1887. In a
year after the death of his first wife, White married Miss Elizabeth R.
Wright, a native of Vermont, who had come to Greenville as a
teacher. In November, 1931, the Almira alumnae unveiled a tablet to
his memory on the walls of one of the buildings which he had helped
to build, and in fitting Exercises honored his memory.
The following statement made on that occasion by his former
students in Almira College is in striking contrast with some of the
harsh estimates of his students at Wake Forest:
Professor White won, in a remarkable degree, the confidence, esteem and love of
his pupils. He was thorough and clear and his manner of instruction original, kind,
but firm in discipline, and invariably made his pupils his friends for life
20
Both as a professor and as president John B. White served the
College faithfully; and he served it well. His memory deserves to be
held in honor by all sons and friends of the
institution.21
WILLIAM THOMAS WALTERS
One who became a member of the faculty during White's ad-
ministration was William Thomas Walters. He was born in
Pittsylvania County, Virginia, September 20, 1822. There he was
baptized into the membership of the Sandy Creek Church by Elder J.
L. Prichard, under whose encouragement he came to Wake Forest
College. Although he had to provide by his own labors for his
expenses, he graduated after three years at the Commencement of
1848, with high distinction. He was ordained at the College,
November 16, 1851. On November 10, 1849, he was appointed tutor
of Mathematics, and in June, 1852, was made Professor of
Mathematics, a position he held until the close of the
20 Greenville, Illinois, Advocate, November 19 and 23, 1931, from
which the facts of White's life after he left Wake Forest have been
gleaned. Filed clipping in College Library.
21
Misleading and unfair to both Hooper and White is the statement
that got into the College catalogues for 1918-19 and thereafter that
"under the administration of Dr. William Hooper, 1845-49, and
Professor John B. White, 1849-53, the College continued barely to
exist."
Previous Page Next Page