504 History of Wake Forest College
the College Building, but were reached by the stairways at each end to
the fourth story of the dormitories. They were separated by a narrow
passage way connecting with those at each end. In size they were
about a thirty-five by twenty-five feet. Each was lighted by three large
windows. Their ceilings were arched and while rather low at the ends
were sufficiently high in the center.
The halls suffered greatly from a defect which was common to the
entire building: they were under a leaky roof; already on January 25,
1840, when the Societies had been in their halls barely three years, the
Euzelians were representing to the faculty that the roof needed
repairs. In February, 1842 both Societies joined in a complaint of the
same kind. Finding no other way of having the repairs made the
Societies bore an expense of eleven dollars in having the worse leaks
stopped. The investigation made by the Societies showed that the roof
was irreparably bad; the roofing was zinc, which it was all but
impossible to keep from leaking; the Trustees were expecting to cover
the building anew.2 The College, however, was so much embarrassed
with debt that the new roof was not put on until after June, 1857,
when the Trustees declaring that repairs on the roof were
indispensable, ordered that a new roof be put on and the zinc be sold
in part payment.3 In the meantime the leaks were causing constant
trouble despite numerous repairs both by the Societies and a standing
local committee appointed by the Trustees for the purpose, October 1,
1844. Portions at least and perhaps all were covered with shingles
over the zinc, and once and again coats of sand and tar were applied;
the fretted Societies stopped holes and did what else they could,
calling Professor White, who was then in charge, into conference, and
talking over the dilapidated condition of the roof. But with all the
patches the roof continued to leak. Perhaps the halls suffered more
from these leaks than the other parts of the building, since they were
immediately under the roof, which was broken in the center by the
belfry. The leaks were ruinous to
―――――――
2 Minutes of Phi. Soc., February 26, 1842.
3 Proceedings, p. 111; June 10, 1857. The zinc was sold in 1862, tradition says to
the Confederate States Government. Proceedings, p. 131.
Previous Page Next Page