Society Halls 513
four members of the Society.14 After it was laid the Society took care
to cover it with a cheaper covering, which we may be sure was
removed before the young ladies came for Commencement. On such
occasions the Societies exercised the greatest care that their carpets
and curtains and rostrum and all their furniture should have a most
elegant appearance. No ladies boudoir could have been finer.
Though, as has been said above, when the Societies were given
their new halls, they found them barren, and for a time were content
with unpainted pine tables and benches for seats, such as they had
when they met in recitation rooms15 one of their first cares was to
provide a sufficient number of chairs of good quality.16 It was late in
this period, however, before they had procured chairs which were of
an elegance that comported with their other furnishings.
The Euzelians made their purchase of better chairs in May, 1854.
Not being able to find in Raleigh such as they desired A. J. Emerson,
on the appointment of the Society, went to Petersburg, where,
following instructions, he purchased three dozen common chairs for
sixty dollars a dozen, and one President's chair for eleven dollars.
Twenty-five dollars additional were needed to pay traveling expenses
and freight. A few months later the Society got a half dozen more of
the common chairs. These chairs were of walnut and substantial, with
low back curving around and furnishing rests for the arms, and
comfortable upholstered seats. Several have survived ill usage and are
now in possession of citizens of Wake Forest who prefer them to any
It was in the spring of 1858 that the Philomathesians got their better
chairs. They made the purchase through Mr. Purefoy of the College
Hill, very fine chairs of Gothic style with spring
14 Eu. Records, for April 17, 1858. The old carpet was sold for $40. The Phi.
Society sold old carpets for about the same amount, one for $50.
15 Eu. Records, Nov. 7, 1835.
16 Phi. Records, March 4, 1837; Eu. Records, December 7, 1838, Jan. 30, 1839.