518 History of Wake Forest College
most from the day of their formation began to gather books for the use
of their own members. As the number of these books increased year
by year from scores to hundreds and from hundreds to thousands the
Societies were under the necessity of protecting them and making
them available for users. At first a book case met their needs, but as
the number of books increased well constructed shelves were
provided for them around all the vacant spaces on the walls, except
between the windows and near the rostrum. These were built, after a
regular pattern, of excellent material. The base extended about two
feet from the floor, and in the Philomathesian hall was fitted with
doors and in the Euzelian with panels. The posts, or pillars, at regular
intervals to furnish supports for the shelves were neatly finished and
carved in the Philomathesian hall, but plain in the other. The shelving
extended to within six inches of the moulding. In early years both
workmen and material had to be got in Raleigh. In 1852, and after, the
Euzelians let the contract for the construction on the model indicated,
at $2.50 a foot to Mr. J. S. Purefoy, not all at once but as the Society
needed more room for their books. The cost of painting was in
addition. In the hall of the Philomathesians who built on the pattern
indicated a year earlier than the Euzelians, the color scheme was
bird's eye maple, with the panels of a darker color than the rest. The
Euzelians advised that their library should be painted in a color
"somewhat lighter and not so gaudy." Thus each Society had shelving
for three or four thousand volumes.23 The discarded book cases were
presented to citizens of the Hill, that of the Philomathesians to
Professor White, in May, 1851; that of the Euzelians to Dr. A. H.
Taylor, in 1852.
In the halls of this period there was little room for pictures, though
each Society seems to have had some prints. The first
portrait mentioned is the minature of Professor J. B. White, which
―――――――
23 Eu. Records, February 2, 1838; March 24, 1849; October 22, 1852; March
11, 1854. Phi. Records, May 17, 1847; October 10, 1847; May 5, 1848; February 7,
1852; February 8, 1856; April 2, 1856.
Previous Page Next Page