Mention has been made above of the libraries of the Society; a
more extended account will be given here, but first some account of
the small library of the College which, in 1844, was deposited in the
Society libraries.
At their first meeting, May 3-5, 1834,1 the Trustees voted to make a
request through the Baptist Interpreter to all friends of the Institute to
donate such books as they were willing to spare, in order to form a
Library for the Institute. This request was published as a part of the
minutes of the Board of Trustees in the next issue of that periodical,
but it is not known what response it brought.
Coming to the Institute in February, 1835, as Professor of Ancient
Languages, Rev. John Armstrong, became the first librarian, and may
justly be called the founder of the Wake Forest College Library. On
his leaving the institution in 1837 he was succeeded in the office of
librarian by Rev. H. A. Wilcox, who coming to the State as agent of
the Home Mission Board of the Triennial Baptist Convention, served
the College as Tutor for the year 1837-38. The records do not mention
another general librarian in this period.
It seems to have been the purpose of Armstrong for the institution
to have the chief library while those of the Literary Societies should
be supplementary. But he did not remain long enough to make his
scheme effective. For the general library he probably made the only
purchase of books, in the summer of 1836, when, according to
Brook's Diary, quoted above, a magnificent collection came, part of
which was for the Euzelian Society. In the records of the Societies
there is an occasional reference to this library, but not in such a way
as to indicate that the books were much used or that they were made
easily available for consultation by the
1 Proceedings, p.
Previous Page Next Page