students. No book cases were provided for them and they probably
were piled on tables or on the floor in some recitation room.2 After
the College Building was finished a room in it was designated as the
Liberty.3 Nearly all of the College collection consisted of
Congressional documents, beginning with the 25th Congress, donated
by kind-hearted Congressmen. It contained also books on religious
subjects, such as Bible Dictionaries, Commentaries, and theological
expositions ; there were also sets of Martin's and Williamson's
histories of North Carolina, Wilberforce's Letters in two volumes,
Rutherford's Letters, Life of Homer, Clarkson's History, Marshall's
Life of Washington, and the Works of Sir Walter Scott, doubtless
many of them given in response to the request mentioned above, but
some of a character such as merited the choice of Armstrong. Early in
1844 the whole collection was deposited with the Literary Societies,
divided as equally as possible, consideration being had of the needs of
each. To the Philomathesian Society went 123 volumes; to the
Euzelian, 135, a total of 258 volumes. Later, until 1851, the College
continued to deposit with the Societies such documents as were sent
by the Congressmen-some fifty volumes with each Society. Before
they were turned over to the Societies these books had no mark to
indicate ownership, but now in every volume was written in a good
strong hand, "College Library," with an added "E. S." or "P. S." to
designate the Society to which it was going.4 Many of these books are
still to be found in the College Library.
The institution also provided a general reading room, to which
reference is made in the records of the Societies.5 It is known to have
been supplied with the "North American Review" and with other
papers, probably the "Star and Register of Raleigh and the Biblical
2 Ibid., 29. 3 Charter and Laws.
4 A full list of volumes going to each Society is found in Book "Blank A,"
mentioned above, near the end. That for the Philomathesian Society is receipted for
by Menalcus Lankford, that for the Euzelian Society by J. G. Hester.
5 Phi. Records, March 20, 1844.
6 Phi. Records, Aug. 13, 1842, speaks of the "editors of the papers of the Reading