50 History of Wake Forest College The postoffice, except for two weeks of discontinuance early in 1830, continued with Calvin Jones as postmaster until September 26, 1832, when William Donaldson became postmaster; He was succeeded by Henry A. Donaldson on January 1, 1835, who was succeeded by James D. Newsom on April 25, 1836, and he in turn, on June 26, 1837, yielded the postoffice to John M. Fleming, who held it until its discontinuance on July 18, 1844. The postoffice was reΝestablished on September 22, 1847, with William Hooper as postmaster, but was again discontinued on November 30, 1848. It had been on the request of the Trustees that Dr. Hooper sought and gained the reΝestablishment of the postoffice. The Trustees again asked for the reΝstablishment in June, 1852, but without success. It was not until April 28, 1873, that the postoffice was reΝestablished, when Robert H. Timberlake became postmaster. From June 9, 1873 till December 13, 1883, the office was called "Wake Forest College." The statements refering to it by Dr. Hooper in the Biblical Recorder, October 23, 1847, would indicate that it was also called "Wake Forest College" while he was postmaster. 20 Powell and later by one of its principals, Daniel W. Kerr. It was said, "This Academy is pleasantly situated in one of the most populous sections of Wake Forest." The building is still standing and is a part of the brick veneer dwelling situated south of Wyatt and across the highway from the old Powell residence, now the home of a Mr. Wm. Fuller. The school was still advertised in 1839. 4. The Rolesville Academy, 1832. The building is still standing in the present town of Rolesville. 5. Wake Forest Female School, 1831. This was in the home of Dr. Calvin Jones, on the present site of the administration building on the college campus. "The pure air and water, healthiness and good society of this place are too well known to require mention." It was advertised by Dr. Jones. Among the family names of the inhabitants of the Wake Forest district, advertised by Dr. Jones as "sober, moral, and thriving in their circumstances," are Gill, Thompson, Winn, Fort, Crenshaw, Fleming, Sutherland (one of whose daughters married Priestly Mangum), Crawford (one of whose daughters became the wife of John Purify, another of Mr. Fort), Ligon, Harrison, Hartsfield, Smith, Powell, Jones, Alston, names which to this day suggest culture and influence. Some of the fine residences built on the estates of these families are still standing to attest the truth of Dr. Jones description of the inhabitants. .. . 20 For the following list of postmasters with dates of their appointment, and notices of discontinuance and reΝstablishment, and the change of name, I am