52 History of Wake Forest College
Forestville, possibly with daily mails from north and south, the
college community preferred to get mail from the Forestville office. It
seems that students and members of the faculty, who at that time
comprised about all the population of Wake Forest, took great
pleasure in their daily walk of more than a mile for the mail, since
except for those members of the faculty who had buggies, the walk
furnished a pleasant exercise and was a kind of social promenade-and
offered opportunity to see the train, no little privilege in those days.21
When thinking of a postoffice the Trustees also thought of a
railroad station. It was so in June, 1852, when they unsuccessfully
asked the Raleigh and Gaston Railroad to establish a "place of
reception," at the College. It was so again in June, 1872, when they
were so successful that it was reported in June, 1874, that the station
had been removed from Forestville to Wake Forest. This removal
caused a great deal of hard-feeling between the two towns which
extended to the dividing asunder of pastoral relations in the
Forestville Baptist Church.22 The cost of moving the station was
$3,002.02, which was paid by the Trustees. At first the station was
called Wake, but in 1897, at the request of the College faculty, it was
changed to Wake Forest.
―――――――
21 That the mail came only twice a week to the Wake Forest postoffice in the
early days is indicated by the following advertisement in the Raleigh Standard,
August 20, 1838: "Proposal to Let the Carrying of Mail. From Raleigh by Wake
Forest, Winway, Lemay's Cross Roads, Wilton and Pattonville to Oxford, 52 miles
and back twice a week in stages."
Stories of the pleasant walk for the mail, and of incidents connected therewith
were long traditions around Wake Forest. See Wake Forest Student, XXVII, 335,
341.
22 Dr. W. T. Brooks left the pastorate of the Forestville Church at this time, since
some of the members felt aggrieved at his favoring the moving of the station.
Previous Page Next Page