IV
THE FIGHT FOR THE CHARTER
After the purchase of the farm, which as we have seen was made on
August 28, 1832, preparations were begun for the opening of the
Institute. The minutes of the Convention show that Rev. Samuel Wait
continued his work as agent for another year, with unflagging zeal,
finding the character of the opposition to missions and all benevolent
objects still kept up in some places, without material change. Wait
met all the untrue assertions from pulpits and in books by a plain
exhibition of facts. With reference to the matter he says in his report
to the Convention of 1833, which met at Dockery's meeting House in
Richmond County on November 1-6:
No man at this day may expect to have the support of the religious, or any other
respectable portion of the community, while endeavoring to establish a system that
rests upon such assertions as shrink from the light.
During the year, from August, 1832, to May, 1833, he visited the
Country Line and the Flat River Association, and other churches in
the counties of Rockingham, Caswell, Person, Granville, Warren,
Halifax, Nash, Edgecombe, Johnston, Robeson, Bladen, Columbus,
Moore. Early in May he was "prostrated upon a sick bed" and
remained for fifty days in the home of a "kind friend" near Friendship
Church in Moore County, of which he writes a most interesting
account in the Interpreter under the date of July 2, 1833. Later he was
employed in the counties of Montgomery, Mecklenburg, Lincoln,
Rutherford, Buncombe, and Burke. It is to be noted that all through its
history the College has had students from nearly every one of these
counties. Wait gave up his work as Agent at the meeting of the
Convention in 1833, declaring that there was "great cause to be
encouraged," while the Convention expressed its appreciation of his
services in the following resolution:
Previous Page Next Page