XXXVIII
MINISTERIAL-BOARD OF EDUCATION
As we have seen above, one of the purposes of the organization of
the Baptist State Convention, as expressed in its constitution, was "the
education of young men called of God to the ministry." Martin Ross,
before his death in 1826 according to Meredith, "for a quarter of a
century had been an open and steadfast advocate for an improved and
well taught ministry." Others, too, had felt the need of an educated
ministry for Baptist churches. One expression of their views may be
found in the minutes of the General Meeting of Correspondence for
1813.1
It was only after the Convention had been formed that the Baptists
of the State determined to establish a school for this purpose.
Although to put this school in operation would require some years,
the Convention immediately began to provide means for ministerial
education and in 1830 made it one of the three objects of its benevo-
lences, Charles W. Skinner giving $25 and Jesse Rountree, Sen., $10.
Collections for Education were $174.67 in 1830-31, $391.83 in 1831-
32, and $369.94 in 1832-33.
At the meeting of the Convention at Rogers' Cross Roads, April 15-
18, 1831, Elder John Armstrong, then pastor at New Bern, offered to
educate young men for the ministry, probably free of charge for
instruction, though the record is not definite. The Convention
accepted this offer and authorized the Board of Managers "to send
such young men as they may approve, to him or to some school, and
to defray the expense, as far as the funds of the Convention will
admit."
At the same time the Convention made a statement of rules by
which the Board should be guided in choosing young ministers,
applying for the patronage of the Convention, rules which are still
used for the purpose.2
―――――――
1 See Chapter II above.
2 W. R. Cullom, Wake Forest Student, XXX, 862, "History of the Board of
Education."
Previous Page Next Page