54 History of Wake Forest College
Resolved unanimously, That this Convention highly appreciates the
discretion, the faithfulness and the success with which our agent has
uniformly discharged the difficult and laborious duties of his station,
and that we deeply regret the dissolution of a connexion, which has
been productive of so much satisfaction to us, and, we trust, so much
advantage to the cause in which we are engaged.1
This session of the Convention of Dockery's Meeting House was
busy with matters pertaining to the opening of the new school.
Samuel Wait was appointed a special agent to collect funds for it, the
agency to continue until February 1; a committee with T. Meredith as
chairman was appointed to prepare a schedule of the items necessary
for the Institute, and reported recommending (1) an agent for the
Institute; (2) the appointment of a farmer; (3) the furnishing of a farm
with provisions, tools, etc.; (4) providing necessary buildings and the
repair of those on the farm; (5) the appointment of a person to receive
applications for students; (6) the appointment of a committee to make
regulations for the conduct of the school; (7) the appointment of a
steward; (8) and an inquiry into the condition of the farm.
Following a report of a committee of which Mr. Charles McAllister
of Fayetteville, "a man of large estate and great capacity for
administration,"2 was chairman, the Convention elected forty men a
Board of Trustees, with the provision that nine should constitute a
quorum, and appointed a committee consisting of Stephen Graham,
Joseph B. Outlaw, Alfred Dockery, David Thompson and Samuel
Biddle to secure the incorporation of the new institution from the
Legislature. The Board was named by a committee of six, of which
Charles McAllister was chairman, and was approved by the
Convention. Their names will be found in the Charter of the Institute
The committee to which was intrusted the duty of securing a
1 Minutes Baptist State Convention for 1833.
2 Taylor, "The Times and the Men," Bulletin of Wake Forest College, January,
1909, p. 193.