Ministerial-Board of Education 613
in 1850, Moses Baldwin of Randolph County and E. F. Beacham of
Camden County, received their degrees in 1856. Both did a long and
useful work in the central portion of the State. B. J. Hackney,
Chatham County, who entered with them did not get higher than the
Preparatory department. He was of no expense to the Board except for
tuition. In 1860 he moved to Florida, and in 1861 died in the
Confederate Army. B. F. Cole, Chatham County, entering in 1851,
graduated in 1856 with high honors. He was immediately appointed
tutor of the College but died on December 13, 1856. His remains were
buried in the Wake Forest cemetery. William B. Jones, Johnston
County, entering in 1853 remained only one year at Wake Forest;
afterward he attended Brown University and the Southern Baptist
Theological Seminary, and served as a Baptist minister in Tennessee.
In the Civil War he was chaplain of the 61st Regiment. One of those
who entered in 1854 was Jesse C. Shannon of Pasquotank County; he
remained only one year and a half, doing work in the Preparatory
department; he continued in the work of the ministry until his death in
1891. F. H. Ivey, of Fayetteville who entered the same year graduated
in 1860. After leaving Wake Forest College he attended the Southern
Baptist Theological Seminary, was a Chaplain in the Confederate
Army, and after the War continued in the ministry, working
sometimes in Georgia and sometimes in North Carolina, except for
the years 1873-74 when he was agent of the College; he died on May
5,1893. Of those who entered in 1855, F. A. Belcher, Columbus
County, G. S. Jones, Pasquotank County, and A. J. Kelly, Macon
County, received their degrees, Belcher in 1861 and the other two in
1860. E. A. Poe, Chatham County, who entered at the same time
practically finished his work for the degree but left in his Senior year
to assume charge of Catawba Academy, an associational school. He,
like the other three who graduated, did a valuable work. His field was
in the Catawba River Convention. G. S. Jones, who labored as pastor,
teacher, and missionary, remembered the College in his later years,
making it a gift of five thousand dollars. He died at Hendersonville,
where he had long made his home, early in June, 1910. Others who
entered in 1855
Previous Page Next Page