620 History of Wake Forest College
erect the building called from his name, and having also been one of
the two principal givers for the erection of the Wake Forest College
Hospital, and having made many other gifts to the College. He was
also a frequent contributor to Chowan College of which, as well as of
Wake Forest College, he was a Trustee.
Thomas Henderson Pritchard came from Davie County. He
graduated in 1854. The same year he became agent for the College
and continued in this work for a year and a half; of it an account has
already been given. After this he entered the active work of the
ministry, serving first as pastor of the Baptist church at Hertford. For
a year thereafter he studied theology under John A. Broadus at the
University of Virginia, and then entered upon the pastorate of the
Franklin Square Church in Baltimore, where he remained until July,
1863, when on account of his strong Southern leanings he was forced
to come back to his native State. Here he labored first in the First
Church of Raleigh during the absence of Dr. T. E. Skinner, its pastor.
In 1864 he was commissioned as chaplain by Gordon's Corps, army
of northern Virginia.1 In 1865 he went to Petersburg where he was
pastor for two years; in 1868 he returned to Raleigh as pastor of the
First Church and continued as its minister until July, 1879, when he
became president of Wake Forest College. Of his valuable labors as
college president and for education in general an account will be
given later. He died in 1896 when only sixty-four years of age.
Among the ablest men ever graduated from the College was
Andrew Jackson Emerson of Chatham County, who took his degree in
1855. It seems that he first thought of a career in law. After his
graduation he attended for a while the law school of Judge Pearson at
Chapel Hill. He also engaged in teaching, first at Forestville, then at
Clinton Female College, and then, from 1862 to 1871, at Mount
Vernon Springs. 1873 he went to Missouri and became Professor of
English Literature and History in William Jewell College. In 1890 he
became president of Howard Payne College in Brownwood, Texas.
After ten or twelve years in this work he went to Denver, Colorado,
and devoted his time to writing.
1 Moore, Roster of North Carolina Troops, IV, 16.