624 History of Wake Forest College
recommendation of Dr. A. McDowell he took a pastorate in the
Chowan Association, where all of his subsequent life was spent and
most of his work done. He was a Trustee of Wake Forest College and
also of the Chowan Institute; he died in 1893.2
Among the graduates of 1861 were Dougald C. McMillan, James
B. Richardson, and William Bailey Royall. Of the last named we shall
have occasion to speak hereafter, since his chief work was as
Professor of Greek in Wake Forest College. After the Civil War, in
which he served in the Confederate States Army for four years, he
returned to Wake Forest as a teacher; he was ordained in 1869, and
for many years served the Baptist churches at Forestville, Youngsville
and Rolesville. He died January 28, 1928.
Dougald C. McMillan came from Robeson County, and after his
graduation returned thither, and spent his life as a minister and a
farmer, serving churches in the vicinity of Leesville and Ashpole. He
died about 1908.
James Brantley Richardson was the son of Noah Richardson, an
able and progressive minister of the Sandy Creek Association, whose
home was near Carthage, Moore County. The son was ordained in
1862, and thereafter served churches at Carthage, Lilesville, Gum
Springs, Wadesboro, Pleasant Grove, Meadow Branch, Matthews,
Leaksville, Spray, Catawba, Newton, Hickory, Marion, Waughtown,
Union Hill, Jersey, Abbott's Creek, Greensboro, and High Point. He
spent the most of his life in mission work in the region to the south
and west of High Point, and it is to him and Elder S. B. Conrad, more
than to any others, that the Baptist owe their strength in that territory.
He was also a vigorous thinker and writer. From 1873 until his death
he was a member of the Board of Trustees of the College. He died on
September 7, 1912.
There were four ministers in the graduating class of 1862. These
were William A. Brunt, Jr., of Davie County; Lansing Burrows of
Richmond, Virginia ; James King Howell of Granville County, and
George Washington Sanderlin of Elizabeth City. All have honorable
William A. Brunt was ordained in 1863 and until 1866 was
2 Sketch by Dr. R. T. Vann in Baptist Almanac for 1893, p. 54.