634 History of Wake Forest College
him to accept the position of professor of Chemistry and Geology in
the College, but he declined. After the War he returned to his native
section and making his home in Elizabeth City engaged in his
profession and in farming. His portrait is in the hall of the
Philomathesian Society.
Dr. Matthew Turner Waddill, of Montgomery County, graduated
also in the Class of 1840. He too was in the Confederate Army, being
surgeon of the Fourteenth North Carolina Infantry. He had, soon after
graduation, won his degree of Doctor of Medicine at the University of
New York. After the war he made his home at Norwood, Stanly
County, and represented that county in some years in the State
Legislature. He died June 29, 1883.
John Cave Rogers, a third member of the Class of 1840 who
became a physician practiced his profession in his native county of
Wake.
There is no further record of John Robert Eborn, the sole member
of the Class of 1843 who became a physician; he came from Pitt
County, and seems to have died early, probably before the Civil War.
The next class to furnish graduates who became physicians was that
of 1848. One of these was Frederick Beasley Ryan of Wake Forest,
probably the son of G. Ryan, one of the early stewards of the Institute,
and of Mrs. Martha Ryan, the first keeper of the Wake Forest Hotel.
He made his home in Tennessee. There is no further record of him.
William E. Poole, however, of Murfreesboro, graduating in the same
class, that of 1848, served as a surgeon in the Army. After the War he
was a physician in Hertford and Camden counties.
Of all the students of the College of this period who became
physicians, the ablest and the one who attained the greatest promi-
nence in his profession, was David Richard Wallace, of Pitt County.
He was born November 10, 1825. When he was fourteen years old the
family had moved to Greenville, where he was prepared for college
under an able teacher. Before he went to college he had taught several
years. On January 19, 1847, he matriculated at Wake Forest College.
At that time Dr. William Hooper was just
Previous Page Next Page