V
MANUAL LABOR DAYS
After the Convention of 1832, the Board of Managers of the
Convention had been taking measures to secure teachers and officers
for the Institute and making other necessary provisions for its
opening. At a meeting of this Board in Raleigh on September 25,
1832, it was resolved that the new institution should be called the
"Wake Forest Institute." The Board at the same time received a
report of the Committee appointed to purchase the farm, in which it
was stated that $550.50 of the $1,525 pledged to pay for the farm
was unpaid, and that the members of the Committee had advanced
on their individual account part of the money, after using a $500
note which was in the hands of the treasurer of the old North
Carolina Missionary Society and a gift of $200 from Cullen Battle
of Georgia. The Board adopted such measures as were thought
necessary to commence operation as early as February, 1833. A
committee was appointed to secure a principal for the new school,
but this committee after corresponding with several men in the
North had accomplished nothing when the Board was called
together again in Raleigh on December 15, 1832. At this meeting a
new committee appointed to secure a principal named Samuel Wait,
and he was formally elected and accepted at another meeting of the
Board at Cashie in Bertie County on May 10, 1833. At the Raleigh
meeting in December, 1832, the opening of the Institute was post-
poned until February, 1834, and the farm committed to the care of
John Purefoy, W. Crenshaw, Foster Fort and G. W. Thompson.1
For Dr. Wait's part in the preparations for beginning operations we
are fortunate in having the following graphic account from his own
pen:
2
―――――――
1
Letter of John Armstrong in the Baptist Interpreter for March 1, 1834.
2
Wake Forest Student, II, 50 f.
Previous Page Next Page