68 History of Wake Forest College
loads weighed only thirty hundred pounds. This furniture was used by the Institute
just as though it had been the property of the Trustees. Our trip to New Bern was,
from necessity, a very hasty one, and we were soon at our posts. Sometime before
this, arrangements had been made with Brother C. R. Merriam,3 a brother of my
wife, to take charge of the farm. He also aided, in fact had charge of the steward's
department. We returned from New Bern about the 1st of December. Only two
months now to the time when the session was to commence.
And in that brief space, much remained to be accomplished before we could take
the first step in the business of teaching. Provisions were to be laid in for the family.
Beds and many other comforts were yet to be provided. The Trustees urged me to
spend as much of the two months that remained in trying to collect funds as would
be possible. As I told them, I had not an hour for this business. I could not resist
their importunities: I went out, and, by much labor, collected nearly two hundred
dollars. Late as it was, I expressed a wish to Brother Foster Fort to sow a little
wheat, when he very cheerfully gave me ten bushels for seed, and Brother William
Crenshaw "gave the sowing and the ploughing it in," as he called it. This ploughing
and sowing was completed, I think, on the 3rd of December. We harvested 112
bushels, and had 101 bushels of wheat after paying toll at the threshing mill. This
wheat was of the very best quality. In making arrangements, we found some
difficulty, from the fact that we had no means of knowing for what number of
students it would be necessary to
Dr. Jones had left the premises of Wake Forest soon after he sold
the farm in the autumn of
And they had been unoccupied since
that time. The dwelling stood on the spot where now stands the Wait
Hall, which is on the site of the old College Building. When this was
built the house was moved, first, about fifty yards to the west, then,
about one hundred yards further to the spot where it still stands in a
fair state of preservation. It was owned successively by President John
B. White and
3 Mr. Merriam remained in charge of the farm for one year, and was then steward
until his death, April 9, 1837. It seems that he was a victim of tuberculosis. Shortly
before his death he called his niece, Dr. Wait's daughter to his bedside and exhorted
her to devote her life to Jesus Christ. He had a triumphant death. His age was 28.
Biblical Recorder. Major Ingram speaks most affectionately of him. Student, Vol.
4 Haywood, Calvin Jones, p. 25.
Previous Page Next Page