Manual Labor Days 69
by Dr. W. T. Walters and his heirs. In the year 1916 it came again into
the possession of the College, and is now used as a private boarding
house. Originally the house faced east, looking down an avenue
through a grove of magnificent oaks, a few of which still stand, to the
front gate opening on the road. That there was a flower garden in
front is proved by some bunches of jonquils and daffodils which
every spring put forth their yellow glory to testify that the lady of the
house, Mrs. Calvin Jones, or the wife of the builder, Mrs. David
Battle, loved flowers. Some box bushes also standing near the Lea
Laboratory are a survival from the days of private ownership. In the
rear was the well which served the College until the installation of
water system about the year 1895. Near this stood and still stands the
finest elm in all this region. The vegetable garden was to the north,
where we find another bunch of jonquils. The carriage house was near
the vegetable garden to the north of the administration building about
where the Gymnasium now stands. The barns were to the southwest.
Seven cabins built for the slaves were further removed, some beyond
the vegetable garden to the north, while others were in a field to the
east.5
There was no other house near, no other road, no street, no
railroad. On nearly all sides were the fields of the plantation.
According to Major Sanders M. Ingram,6 "briars, weeds, and bushes
were growing on the best land; the hillsides were washing into
gullies."
The house was furnished with the furniture of the Principal and was
the home for his family, including his brother-in-law, Mr. C. R.
Merriam, who was to have charge of the farm. The seven cabins,
which Dr. Wait found to be of excellent construction of hewn white
oak, with good doors and floors and with one exception with
windows, were cleaned and given a coat of whitewash. They were
provided with good new furniture, including feather beds, so long as
feathers could be had. The outhouses
―――――――
5 "My room was in a field northeast of the college building." A. G. Headen, Wake
Forest Student, XXI, 85 f.
6 S. M. Ingram, "Manual Labor Days at Wake Forest," Wake Forest Student,
XIII, 192.
Previous Page Next Page