Reopening and Reorganization 5
With the outlook gloomy and the College building out of repair and
with the utter impoverishment of our people at the close of the War,
the Board of Trustees took no action looking to the resumption of the
exercises of the College at the regular time for the opening of the
session, the end of July. In August, 1865, however, Professors W. G.
Simmons and J. H. Foote began a school for boys in the College
Building.4
――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
At its meeting in January, 1865, a minute shows that, "The Church in conference
assumed to pay to Brother W. M. Wingate twelve barrels of corn as a compensation
for his pastoral services to be rendered during the present year." In March, 1866, the
Church voted to pay the pastor $50 a quarter for his pastoral services, but this
arrangement held only for the remainder of the year 1866 and was discontinued in
January, 1867, since Dr. Wingate had resumed his duties as President of the
College, which included pastoral services of the church.
The colored members continued to occupy the African Chapel as their place of
worship. The steps which led to their establishment as an independent church were
as follows: In July, 1865, the church authorized the pastor to organize a Sunday
school for the colored people and the work was commended to the members of the
Church. In April, 1866, probably as a result of revival services by Dr. Wingate, five
males and eleven females were received for baptism at the African Chapel, Rev. J.
S. Purefoy, presiding, who shortly after baptized them all and gave them the right
hand of fellowship. In the following June two others were added by baptism. Soon
the colored members were exercising their freedom and moving their residence and
asking for church letters, beginning with Dicey (formerly Wait's, later Brewer's,
now her own but without other name) and later followed by others who now had
assumed the family names of their former masters. The Church still kept a kind
watch over the colored members. In April, 1867, it appointed a committee
consisting of Brethren Brewer, Brooks, and Simmons to inquire into their condition,
which in June reported advising that in cooperation with the colored members they
had agreed upon a plan under which a white member acting as clerk and moderator
for the colored members when no pastor was present at their meetings should assist
them in their meetings in receiving and excluding members, such actions to be
subject to revision and control of the Church as a whole. Brother J. M. Brewer was
appointed to this place of clerk. This plan did not long prove satisfactory, and a
committee appointed in January, 1868, reported advising that the colored members
be asked to apply for church letters and establish an independent church. It was the
following June before these colored
members
were
dismissed,
and July when a
committee consisting of the officers of the Church was appointed to assist in the
constitution. Even after this, the Church appointed a committee to help the colored
church in inquiring into the conduct of its members, and Dr. Wingate continued to
serve them as part-time pastor.-Wake Forest Church Book for dates named.
4 Dr. William Royall, in a sketch of "Professor W. G. Simmons," the Wake
Forest Student, June, 1889, says that the exercises of the College were suspended
from May, 1862, until August, 1865, and that then Professors
Previous Page Next Page