142 History of Wake Forest College
churches in South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland and Virginia;
G. P. Hamrick was long influential and useful in Cleveland County; J.
L. Britt labored in the Eastern Association, being pastor of churches
in Duplin and Sampson counties; J. F. McMillan after serving a
pastorate at Fair Bluff went to South Carolina and spent his life there
serving churches in Marion and Florence counties. C. H. Martin,
turning from law to the ministry, made his home at Polkton and
served churches in that vicinity. J. R. Jones served churches in Wake
and Franklin counties, at Hickory, Smithfield and other places. He
died, October 22, 1890. R. C. Sandling served many pastorates in the
eastern half of the State.
About a dozen of the graduates of these years devoted their lives
chiefly to education. John B. Brewer was for many years, 1881 to
1896, president of the Chowan Baptist Female Institute and later of a
like institution in Danville, Virginia; R. P. Johnson did a most
valuable work as principal of several academies, such as Mount
Vernon Springs in Chatham County, 1881-88, and Thompson School,
Siler City. For many years from the end of the century he was
superintendent of the Chatham County Schools; he was moderator of
the Sandy Creek Association, 190318. He died, September 17, 1924.
L. W. Bagley also had a long career in the field of secondary
education; of him some account has been given above. J. C. Caddell
also did work in secondary education, soon after his graduation
conducting a school for boys, first at Forestville, and then near the
College. In 1888 he became connected with the Biblical Recorder as
traveling agent, a position which he held till January 1, 1902. Later,
for a short period he was editor of the Raleigh Evening Times. He was
a trustee of the College and a member of the executive committee of
the Board. For the years 1908 to 1914 he was mayor of the town of
Wake Forest. He died on January 22, 1928. Other graduates of this
period who labored in the field of secondary education were M. N.
Sikes, who went to eastern Virginia, J. H. Garvey who for two years
taught at Forestville, but later was a pioneer settler
Previous Page Next Page