176 History of Wake Forest College
Being at the College during the Spring term, 1879-80, he had learned
at first hand some of its needs, and at the meeting of the Board in June
asked that they be given consideration-more dormitories, a sanitary
privy in the basement of Wingate Memorial Hall, with sewer
emptying into Red Hill Branch, and an infirmary for the students.
Though the Board made no adequate provision for any of these they
took some notice of all except the recommendation for privy and
sewer, which they probably regarded as
At this meeting,
June, 1880, the Board, probably on the recommendation of President
Pritchard, voted adversely on the establishment of a cotton factory at
Wake Forest. At the same meeting the board also voted to accept the
offer of the father of Mr. J. B. Silcox to establish a Greek medal as a
memorial of his son, J. B. Silcox, who died in the summer of 1879,
and had been "greatly attached to Wake Forest." In the school year
1877-78 Rev. Theodore Whitfield of Charlotte had established the
Whitfield Latin medal. In 1880 Dr. H. W. Montague established a
French medal. These medals soon became the most eagerly sought for
prizes offered to the students of the College, and finally the rivalry
became so intense that the members of the faculty having the
responsibility for awarding them were much embarrassed, and on
their advice the Board of Trustees, in June, 1888, abolished them.29
The Winners of the medals were as follows: Latin, 1878, W. B.
Waff; 1879, T. P. Womack; 1880, C. A. Smith; 1881, W. G.
Kornegay; 1882, A. T. Robertson; 1883, J. L. White; 1884, R. H.
Whitehead; 1885, G. C. Thompson; 1886, J. B. Carlyle; 1887, D. A.
Davis; 1888, J. R. Hankins. Greek, 1880, H. G. Holding; 1881,
seemingly a tie between H. P. Markham and D. L. Ward, both being
named as getting a medal for "proficiency in Greek";
28 The provision of an infirmary was probably suggested to Pritchard by the death
during the year of J. B. Silcox and J. B. Cheaves. The Board advised that a two-
room cottage be rented for the purpose of caring for sick students. Two or three of
the smaller rooms in the "sink" of the Old College Building, which had been used
for storage or offices, were used for dormitories from this time until 1900, but no
change was made in them.
29 Records of the Faculty, May 25, 1888; Records of the Board of Trustees, June