196 History of Wake Forest College
tract with the Federal Land Grant funds, Governor Jarvis with the
help of President Battle of the University and Col. W. L. Saunders,
Secretary of State, recommended that along with the appropriation of
57,500 a year the University should accept the obligation to give free
tuition to ninety-four other beneficiaries, one additional from each
county. They had supposed that this would make the proposition more
acceptable. The result, however, was quite the contrary. The friends
of the denominational colleges believed that this provision would rob
them of their students. The lead in the opposition to it was taken by
President Pritchard. First getting the approval of the Wake Forest
faculty he secured a meeting in Raleigh which was attended by
President Pritchard, and Professor Simmons, Taylor, Mills and W. B.
Royall and several other friends of the College. With the approval of
those at the meeting and of others, members of the faculty and Board
of Trustees, Pritchard visited in person Trinity and Davidson colleges
and arranged for a meeting of the representatives of all the colleges in
Raleigh on February 9, 1881, at which meeting a protest was agreed
upon in the shape of a memorial to the General Assembly which was
as follows
A Memorial In Behalf of the Denominational Colleges
of the State
To the General Assembly of North Carolina:
The Legislature of 1874-75 revived the State school at Chapel Hill
by giving it $7,500 per annum, the interest on the Land Scrip, issued
by the General Government in 1862, for the establishment of colleges
for the promotion of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts. A condition
of this grant gave each county in the State one free scholarship in the
State school.
In his late message the Governor recommends that the Legislature,
now in session, shall make an additional appropriation of $7,500 a
year to Chapel Hill, on the condition that another free scholarship be
allowed to each county; so if this recommendation
Previous Page Next Page