216 History of Wake Forest College
the College Has Done for North Carolina," was absent, Editor C. T.
Bailey of Raleigh made a short but pointed speech for both. Last on
the program was Rev. Columbus Durham of Durham, who spoke on
the subject, "The Wake Forest of 1934." Owing to the lateness of the
hour his speech was short. Fifty years hence, he was expecting the
College to have ten dollars to every dollar it had then-it actually had
thirty dollars to one in 1884. He thought it would have ten students in
1934 to one on 1884; it actually had five to one, or including the
summer school eight to one. Next "All Hail the Power of Jesus'
Name" was sung and the benediction was pronounced by Rev. R. R.
Savage. It was 2:30 o'clock, p.m., the exercises having lasted three
and one-half hours.
The religious life of the College during the administration of
Chairman Royall was good. On December 13, 1882, he was formally
called to the pastorate of the Wake Forest Baptist Church, the work of
which he was already doing.14 Although it was the custom of the
church that the presiding officer of the College should serve as pastor
of the church, the church on its own account paid the pastor a small
salary, $200 a year. Professor Royall continued in the pastor's office
only until the following June, but in that brief period the church made
considerable progress. In speaking of his assumption of the pastorate
the Wake Forest Student said,15 "A church in which so many lives are
modeled is fortunate in securing such a model man for pastor." Two
months later the same writer spoke most appreciatively of the pastor's
sermons.16 During this scholastic year, from March 5 to 21, 1883, the
church had special meetings, in which the preaching was done by
Rev. E. F. Baldwin of Greensboro and Dr. W. A. Nelson of Shelby.
The fruits of the meeting, as shown by the church records, were
"Records of Wake Forest Church," for December, 1882. "He accepts,
expressing in a few words his conviction of the responsibilities of the position, and
his reliance upon divine help with the sympathy and support of the brethren."
15 Vol. II, 179.