262 History of Wake Forest College
radical change in the faculty. A year before the place of Professor of
English, left vacant by the death of Professor William Royall, had
been left unfilled although the students by petition had asked that
Professor B. F. Sledd be appointed to the place. In June, 1894, Sledd
was elected and formally took chair of the English department, and
the faculty were asked to provide for the teaching of the classes in
Modern Languages, which Professor Sledd had been teaching. At the
same time the faculty were charged with the responsibility of making
provision for the department of Physical Culture, and the salaries of
the President, professors and assistant professors were reduced ten per
cent. The reductions thus made continued until the end of the year
1897-98, when the salary of the President was restored to $2,000, and
that of most of the full professors to $1,500, but Professor Mills was
required to do the work of Bursar in addition to that in the Department
of Mathematics for the stipulated $1,500.
The increased endowment would suggest that the revenues of the
College had been increasing, and in fact they had. The following
figures from the Bursar's Reports show the progress in this respect. In
1883-84 the bursar received a total of $11,132, of which $4,758.05
was from endowment and $4,693.27 from student fees; in 1890-91 he
received a total of $19,642.17, of which $11,101.84 was from
endowment and $5,904.95 was from student fees; in 1897-98 he
received a total of $27,633.25, of which $17,803.03 was from
endowment and $5,818.05 was from student fees; in 1904-05, the last
year of President Taylor's administration, the bursar received a total of
$35,528.72, of which $22,046.14 was from endowment and $9,738.59
was from student fees. In these years then the total receipts had
tripled; the receipts from endowment had increased fourfold, and
those from student fees doubled. In regard to the last item it should be
said that the number of students had also doubled in this period,
having increased from 161 in 1883-84 to 313 in 1904-05.
Previous Page Next Page