XX
II-THE GROWING COLLEGE
It is easy to see that the reason that with all the increase in revenues
the College continued to show annual deficits in its operation was that
it was rendering a larger service and increasing amounts were needed
from year to year for new buildings and their upkeep, for
improvement of grounds and equipment, and for salaries of faculty
members called to take charge of new departments of instruction in
the expanding curriculum.
Of the buildings added during this period some account is given in
a separate chapter. In 1884 there were three buildings-the Old College
Building, the Heck-Williams Building, and Wingate Memorial Hall.
They were heated by stoves, had benches for seats, were badly lighted
and had no so-called modern conveniences. In June, 1905, there were
three other buildings-the Lea Chemistry Laboratory, the Gymnasium
(now the Social Science Building), and the Alumni Building, and
measures had already been taken for the erection of the Infirmary, or
College Hospital. Several of these buildings were provided with
running water and other conveniences, and there was fair provision
for baths; the furnishing of the recitation rooms had been much
improved.
After his assumption of the presidency Dr. Taylor continued to
manifest his zeal for the improvement of the grounds. For this
purpose he secured several appropriations from the Board of Trustees,
one for $500 in June, 1887. One of the first matters to which he gave
his attention was the walks. With the erection of additional buildings
and the removal of the railroad depot from Forestville to Wake Forest
it was necessary to modify the system of walks constructed some
years before by Englehard and to add others. This was a task to which
President Taylor with the help of Professor Simmons set himself in
October,
1885.1
It was always the plan of Dr. Taylor to place a walk
where the trail
―――――――
1
Wake Forest Student, V. 78.
Previous Page Next Page