264 History of Wake Forest College
of students' feet indicated that it was needed; but he did this with an
artistic sense that produced a system of walks as beautiful as were
ever found on any campus, many think the most beautiful ever found
on the Wake Forest campus. Free from artificiality and running with
gentle curves and set here and there with flowering shrubs and roses
the paths offered constant delight to those who walked them. Early in
his presidency Dr. Taylor included in the Campus the land to the east
towards the railroad which was growing up in briars and weeds, and
in the summer of 1889, with the help of "Doctor" Tom and under the
direction of Dr. Poteat, enclosed the eastern half of the Campus with a
stone wall with rectangular corners and secured the relocation of the
highway so as to run between the eastern wall and the
President Taylor found the front of the Campus in broomsedge,
poorly kept down by pasturing. One of his first concerns was a better
lawn; in the spring of 1886 he had this front sown with ten bushels of
grass seed, which with subsidiary sowings produced the present lawn.
At this time the western portion of the Campus, neglected hitherto,
began to receive attention.
On the accession of President Taylor to his office there were few
trees on the Campus except the original grove of oaks then majestic in
their prime, and ashes set in checked rows in the western Campus.
President Taylor saw that with the planting of other trees it was
"susceptible of great improvement in appearance," and he devoted
much attention and labor to the planting.3 On December 13 and 16,
1885, under the direction of Mr. A. B. Forrest, a nurseryman of
Raleigh, 300 trees were set out-100 magnolias, 100 maples and 100
evergreens; the next spring 1,000 shrubs, vines and roses were set;
and in the following November an additional 100 magnolias,
averaging five feet high. In the spring of 1894, Mr. B. F. Montague,
an alumnus of Raleigh, gave the plantings of Boston ivy which now
adorns many of the buildings.4
Minutes of Faculty, October 4, 1888; June 17, 1889.
3 Catalogue for 1886-87, pp. 5f.
Wake Forest Student, V, 177, 313; VI, 129; XIV, 40. See also "Introduc-