The Growing College 265
Thus Dr. Taylor took up the work, not altogether neglected before
his presidency, which, as he loved to tell, made the Wake Forest
Campus one of the most beautiful parks in the State. It may be well
here to add the testimony of Dr. W. L. Poteat, who succeeded Dr.
Taylor in the direction of the improvement of the Campus on
becoming president in September, 1905. Writing in January, 1916, he
said: "The present beauty of the Campus is due almost entirely to the
interest and taste of Dr. Taylor. He changed the artificial scheme of
paths, recovered the waste portions of the grounds, built the rock wall
around the front part, hoping to extend it all round the Campus, set
out trees and flowering shrubs, and determined the general plan
according to which the buildings are
grouped."5
Other things looking to the material equipment of the College
which President Taylor was early bringing anew to the attention of the
Trustees were the infirmary, modern water-closets, and new
dormitories. The movement for an infirmary was accelerated when it
was found that Rev. J. S. Purefoy, at his death in April, 1889, had left
a thousand dollars for the purpose. Many impracticable schemes for
the care of the sick students were considered by the Board, but
nothing was done for more than a decade, when, as told in another
chapter, the movement got under way that led to the erection of the
present College Hospital. Progress on a satisfactory system of water-
closets also was slow. In 1894 the first water-flushed closets were
placed on the ground floor of the old College Building, but adequate
provision of this kind was not made until the renovation of the central
wing of the Old Building and the building of the Gymnasium in 1900-
01. No new dormitories were built during Taylor's administration, but
those in the College Building were repaired first in 1885-86. It had
been repainted in 1889-90, a brick-colored paint being laid
――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
tion" to the catalogues of the College, 1886-1905. For the sake of continuity there is
some repetition here from Chapter IV.
5 See also Gorrell, "History of the Grounds," Bulletin of Wake Forest College,
July, 1907. At that time Dr. Poteat found that there were 796 trees and shrubs of 55
kinds on the campus.
Previous Page Next Page