The Growing College 269
full-time Librarian; in 1897 a summer school and a vacation school
for pastors. Along with all these recommendations for expanding and
improving the instruction of the College, President Taylor was
recommending the provision of improvements in laboratory, library
and classroom facilities and other conveniences that make for the
physical and mental, the esthetic and spiritual development of
students.9
In considering President Taylor's work in developing the
curriculum, it would perhaps be too much to say that he modernized
it,10 since the present curriculum is only a natural development of that
adopted in January, 1866; it is true also that in all his plans for im-
provement of the course of study he had the cordial cooperation of the
faculty; but it is also true that it was President Taylor who directed the
growth of the curriculum, suggesting the lines which that growth was
to follow in order to keep pace with the trends and needs in college
education in his day. According to the catalogue of 1891-92: "All new
departures in educational methods and systems in vogue elsewhere
will be closely scrutinized. All that has proved valuable in them and is
adapted to our use will be appropriated, but none of them will be
slavishly followed."
The first task to which President Taylor set himself in improving
the course of study was the provision for three separate and distinct
departments, each with its own head, for the teaching of the
fundamental sciences, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Already the School of Biology (Natural History) had been
―――――――
9
If one would get any adequate knowledge of the wisdom and zeal of President
Taylor in his plans to make Wake Forest a good college he must read his various
annual reports to the Board of Trustees, 1885-1905.
10 W. L. Poteat, Bulletin of Wake Forest College, X, 194, in article, "Educational
Work of Charles E. Taylor," who after making this statement continues: "I do not
forget the unanimity and cordial cooperation which have characterized the Wake
Forest faculty through the years. Of course, much of the credit of the development
of the College in all directions belongs to the faculty. But Dr. Taylor originated
many of the lines of development by wise suggestion and on all lines was the leader
of the faculty, as well as of the Board of Trustees. A new department was now and
again the culmination of a tendency. The organization of courses was usually the
result of committee work. It is, nevertheless, true that the balanced judgment and
foresight of the president stimulated and guided all these processes."
Previous Page Next Page