278 History of Wake Forest College
With the excellent apparatus Mr. Sprinkle proved very proficient, and
once again gymnasium exercises became popular. In 1891, he was
succeeded by Mr. E. W. Sikes, a graduate of the College in that year,
who continued as director until June, 1894. For the year 1894-95 the
gymnasium was in charge of Walters Durham, a graduate of the class
of 1895; for 1895-96 the director was T. H. Briggs, a member of the
senior class. For the next two years the work was very inefficiently
done by students appointed by the faculty. On the return of Dr. E. W.
Sikes as Professor of History and Political Science in September,
1897, he was again put in general charge of athletics, but had to
entrust the gymnasium to students, who could do very little, since
with the occupation of the old chapel for classrooms, the old Society
Halls on the fourth floor of the Old College Building to which the
gymnastic apparatus was moved were inadequate. In 1900 Professor
C. C. Crittenden, the newly appointed Professor of Education took
charge of the work and conducted it with much proficiency until his
death, April 23, 1903. Much interest was shown in the work after the
opening of the new gymnasium in September, 1901, with its new
equipment and apparatus. After Professor Crittenden's death Dr. Sikes
again assumed general charge, but as before had to leave most of the
work to student assistants. It was in September, 1904, that the
gymnasium again had a regular full-time instructor. This was Mr. J.
R. Crozier, who had come to the College the previous spring as coach
of the baseball team. He proved a competent manager and director;
for the first year or two he left the middle of April to play as
outfielder on the Atlanta league baseball team; after this he remained
all the school year and served as director until August, 1917, when he
resigned to pursue studies in Osteopathy at Kirksville, Missouri.
It was in June, 1896, that the Trustees first provided for a chair of
Bible, as had been urged by President Taylor for several years.17 For
this work the Board, doubtless on the recommenda-
See the President's reports to the Board of Trustees for the years 1892, 1893,
1895, 1896.
Previous Page Next Page