The Growing College 279
tion of President Taylor, chose W. R. Cullom, who had graduated
from the College with the degree of Master of Arts in the year 1892,
and since that time had been a student and an assistant professor in the
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary of Louisville, Kentucky. He
was expected to do only part time work and accordingly his salary
was fixed at $600 a year. For the first year he offered two courses,
each of two hours a week, the first of which was required for the
Bachelor of Arts degree. This requirement, however, was forbidden
by the action of Trustees at their meeting in June, 1899, which ban
continued in effect until the session of 1922-23, when with the
permission of the Board the faculty made six semester hours in Bible
a requirement in most of the courses leading to the degree of Bachelor
of Arts. After the study was made elective three year-hours of work
was devoted to the work of the first year. In 1901-02 an elective
course in Hebrew, three hours a week, and another elective course in
New Testament Greek, taught by Professor W. B. Royall, were added.
No additions were made to the teaching force of the Bible proper for
many years.
In his report to the Board in June, 1890, President Taylor urged the
appointment of a full-time man to the chair of History and Political
Science. In the catalogues before that of 1885-86 Political Economy
and History had been listed as a course of instruction of the School of
Moral Philosophy; beginning with the catalogue of that year the
School of Political Science is listed separately, though the teacher
continued to be the professor of Moral Philosophy until June, 1892. In
this period the courses were rather elementary―a two-hour course in
Wayland's Political Economy, a two-hour course for part of one term
in Swinton's Outlines of General History, and a two-hour course for
the other part term in Constitutional Government. In 1892-93 and
1893-94 E. W. Sikes, then Director of Physical Culture, assisted
Professor Taylor in the department and together they offered three
courses of two hours each for the year, one each in Political History,
Political Economy, and Constitutional Government. In 1894-95 the
three courses were taught by Professors Gulley and
Previous Page Next Page