286 History of Wake Forest College
years' work and later to four years of high school work and by adding
a Seminar in Latin for the more advanced students who might desire
it. Though a master of his subject he gave his time and talents so
freely to other interests of the College that his department, so his
friends felt, suffered for lack of his care.
The stories of the School of Law and the School of Medicine are
told in separate chapters, to which the reader is referred.
Until June, 1887, as told above, the College was offering three
undergraduate degrees, each with a definite prescription of courses.
These were Bachelor of Letters, for which no mathematics was
prescribed; Bachelor of Science, for which the only foreign languages
prescribed were French and German; and Bachelor of Arts, for which
the prescription was full courses in Latin, Greek, Mathematics,
English and Moral Philosophy, two years in Physics, one year each in
Chemistry and Biology, and some work in Applied Mathematics and
Political Science and History.
With the catalogue of 1887-88, however, a change was made; the
degrees of Bachelor of Letters and Bachelor of Science were no
longer offered; there was only one degree, that of Bachelor of Arts.
This condition continued until after the establishment of the School of
Medicine in 1902, when a Bachelor of Science degree, different from
that previously offered, was introduced, a four year course in which at
first two years of Medicine were prescribed as electives.
For the Bachelor of Arts degree, however, six different courses,
each with definite prescriptions, were offered. In the catalogue of
1890-91 the number of courses is reduced to five, with a limited
number of electives for each. In 1893-94 the number of courses is
reduced to four, but restored again to five the next year to make room
for a course in Law. The evident plan was to make all these courses as
equal as possible in amount of time